I look forward to Saturday morning breakfast all week, but the truth is these vegan scrambled “eggs” are so good I could eat them everyday (and often do make extra for leftovers). The secret is the “egg paste”, an admittedly gross looking orangish-brownish paste that delivers so much flavor to the otherwise bland crumbled tofu. Served with oven baked homestyle potatoes, plant based apple sage sausage, and avocado toast, this hearty breakfast just might be the highlight of the weekend.
Vegan Scrambled Eggs
- 15 oz package of firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup non-dairy cheddar cheese, optional
- 1/2 tsp kala namak black salt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Drain tofu, slice into 1/2 inch pieces, and press between kitchen towels to remove excess water. I place a heavy skillet on top of the towels and let it sit for 15 minutes while I prepare the egg paste.
- Heat 1/4 cup broth in large skillet over medium heat.
- Crumble tofu into bite size pieces and add to skillet.
- Add egg paste and another 1/4 broth; stir until the paste evenly combines with the tofu.
- Add nutritional yeast and remaining broth; stir until the nutritional yeast evenly combines with the tofu mixture.
- Season to taste with black pepper and kala namak black salt.
- If using cheddar cheese, sprinkle on top and cover skillet with lid for 1-2 minutes until cheese melts.
- Combine tahini, mustard, tamari, and turmeric in small bowl; stir until smooth. It will resemble a thick paste.